Question:
Can I use tivo without a monthly fee?
2006-02-16 17:45:57 UTC
Can I use tivo without a monthly fee?
Two answers:
hobbiehound
2006-03-19 05:45:29 UTC
The current lifetime fee is $295. So if you were planning on keeping the TiVo for approx. longer than 2 years it is cheaper to buy it. Less than 2 years or if you want to just try it out first: go with the 12.95/month.
Knowledge Seeker
2006-02-17 05:51:35 UTC
Sort of, but only in an extremely restricted way. Without a subscription, all you can do is pause TV, rewind, and fast forward.

There's no guide. There's no manual recording. There's no season passes.

Sounds like it isn't even as useful as VCR without the subscription.

I've had my Tivo for 6 years so the lifetime subscription has been worth it. It works out to about $4 a month.