Question:
how do the other DVR alternatives compare to Tivo?
phil.
2005-12-07 10:52:45 UTC
i'm particularly interested in the comcast DVR and the upcoming non-Tivo DirecTV DVR and less interested in HTPC options. HD recording capabilities is also important. i've been a Tivo user for 2+ years now, currently have DirecTV and wondering if there are better alternatives.
Five answers:
Donald M
2005-12-08 14:20:33 UTC
I am a Time Warner customer and have their 8300HD DVR box. I am very happy with it and HD recording has a lot to do with the fact that I like it so much. I believe the cost is around $7 per month. I was a Tivo customer for a few years until my cable provider began offering their DVR product and it's not very often that I regret switching.

The 8300HD (a Scientific Atlanta product)has dual tuners and HD recording capability. The software is not up to the level of Tivo and can be very frustrating if you like to search for shows rather than use the guide. Season Passes are very difficult and not nearly as smart as Tivo, you either record it once or record it every single time it comes on regardless of repeats, etc. I spend a little time each day checking for dupes. That I know of there are not any other wishlist type options available with this service.

Also, the guide only goes out 1 week. That's a real bummer for me, but I live with it.

By now you must be wondering why I don't switch back to Tivo and I'll tell you why:

-Dual tuners (record 2 shows while watching a previously-recorded show)

-HD and HD recording. Simply incredible.

Those 2 features make every Tivo advantage moot in my opinion.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.
Nick N
2005-12-07 13:31:05 UTC
For HD capabilities, the Comcast Motorola STB (set top box) is your only choice for cable. It is a basic DVR, it has a few usability issues compared to TiVo but it reliable and apparently is functional. Early versions were very buggy and crashed all the time, but now they seem stable. Also, there is a firewire port on the box that some have been able to use to pull off HDTV content to a computer. One of the big advantages of the comcast box is the ability to record two shows simultaneously.

If you have DirecTV and the HD dish, the HD TiVo is a good choice. It's expensive but allows you to record two hidef shows at the same time while watching a third. It also has a fairly large HD.

I'll quickly mention the Microsoft Media Center PC. I know you're not as interested in HTPC's but I have one and am very happy with it. I use it to record comcast + terrestrial HD and it seems to work very well. A huge benefit is the ability to burn video dvd's of HD content. Also, there are no monthly fees, though if you buy a prepackaged Media Center PC it is spendy.
carriechelle
2005-12-11 21:52:01 UTC
The best thing about Tivo has little to do with the equipment itself. It is the service that is awesome, and I don't know that the others even come close.

Tivo of course has season passes (you can select if you just want 1st runs or re-runs, etc., as well as how long to keep them saved, etc.), wishlists by keyword and actor, and all that jazz ...

And now Tivo Series 2 has awesome features such as:

* Online scheduling through Yahoo TV or through Tivo website (just give them an hour notice and it will tell your Tivo to record!)

* Ability to use a wireless network card to communicate with the internet, other tivo boxes in your house, and your computer network.

* Since it can use a network connection, you don't need to keep the Tivo connected to a phone line.

* Look at photos and listen to music from any of the tivo boxes or networks on your network -- and a brand new feature to see photos from any of the shared Yahoo Photos accounts you have, listen to music through Live365, and get traffic and weather through Yahoo directly on your Tivo.

* TivoToGo -- by downloading a free Tivo Desktop program to your computer, you can transfer files between your Tivo and your computer through your network. So you can take your shows with you, or burn to DVD from your computer, etc.

They are continually making improvements and adding to the services, and it's been really great seeing the innovation. I would highly recommend Tivo!!!

Equipment: The box I have is the Humax 40GB w/ DVD Recorder

One frustration with Tivo: The first time you go through set-up (and seriously, it's only the very first time) .. you MUST use a home phone line for about 30 minutes. I have a broadband phone line and those type do not transfer data reliably enough to use for model transfer ... I ended up buying a 100ft phone cable and begging my neighbors. Once you get through that initial set-up, you can use a network connection and everything is wonderful .. but be prepared to take your tivo someplace to et-up if you don't have a regular phone line at home.
KLDubya
2005-12-08 19:57:41 UTC
Everything Nick Nguyen said about the Motorola PVR is true. The software isn't quite as good, and the interface isn't very slick, but it works well and is very affordable. To get HD on Tivo is still pretty expensive.
khounborine
2016-10-14 09:40:29 UTC
you could replace tremendously a lot any type of bean for kidney beans--yet when she won't be able to devour beans in any respect, move on your well being food shop or organic ingredients shop and seem for a product talked about as TVP--Textured vegetable protein. it is like granola--yet you upload water and soak it till it is tender and also you'll use it for tremendously a lot any meat substitution. Or the Morning superstar Farms organization makes a product talked about as "crumbles" (got here across in the freezer) which could be used an similar way.