Question:
Which is the best kind of media to record on a Sylvania DVR90VF DVD Recorder?
DVD Freak
2006-02-27 08:54:39 UTC
Please help! I tried TDK DVD-RW 2X (which was recommended) but it would not format them. Any suggestions?
One answer:
2006-03-02 11:54:05 UTC
I have a Sylvania DVR90V4 that is similar to yours. It too will only record to DVD-R @ 4X or DVD-RW 2X. Yes they are very specific to the DVD Disks they will record on and usually are not easily obtainable. I have done some research and be assured you are not the only one with this problem. The Sylvainia VCR - DVD recorder combo is made by Funai and they do have a firmware update that you could try. If you have your user guide, call the toll free number and get help from Funai. Also, do a web search (Yahoo or Google) just type in the model number and hit GO. You might be surprized at what is out there.

I also have a Magnavox Model MRV640 Digital Video Disc Recorder which I like very much. It uses any brand of DVD+R or DVD+RW 8X discs. The down side is that it is not as easy to setup for recording. The plus side is that you do not have to "FORMAT" the disk prior to recording but they do need to be "Finalized" after recording if they are to be played back on other DVD Players including PC DVD-ROM.

If you do not have the desire to update the Firmware on your Sylvania - consider returning it and get another brand.